Can CBD help our bones? It is a well known fact that as you get older, your bones become weaker and easier to fracture or break as they become fragile.
What is CBD?
CBD is an abbreviation of cannabidiol and is 1 of 113 cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. It accounts for up to 40% of the plants extract. It is a naturally occurring substance that is used in products like oils, vapes and edibles to impart a feeling of relaxation and calm. It has been scientifically proven to aid with an increasing number of physical and mental health issues.
How does CBD work?
Cannabidiol works by entering the body and connecting to receptors. These receptors are named CB1 and CB2. CB1 receptors assist in helping with health and disease, cardiovascular and motor control, and are primarily located within nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. CB2 receptors help with the immune system by managing pain and inflammation. CB2 receptors are mainly found within white blood cells in the tonsils and the spleen.
The receptors work through something know as the Endocannabinoid system. The Endocannabinoid system is a molecular system responsible for regulating and balancing many processes in the body including immune response, communication between cells, appetite and metabolism, memory function and more. It is through this system of receptors and metabolic enzymes that cannabinoids interact with the human body and trigger beneficial effects. The Endocannabinoid system was only recently discovered, and its full importance is still unknown. Studies are ongoing and discoveries will continue to be made.
What are bones?
Bones provide structure, protection and movement, and provide the basic framework of the body. There are 206 bones in the body which also produce blood cells, store important minerals and release hormones necessary for bodily functions. Bones are firm and strong unlike other living organs but they do have their own blood, lymphatic vessels and nerves.
Conditions that affect bones
There are different conditions that affect the skeletal system, both long and short term. For example, the most common condition that affects our bones is a fracture which can sometimes occur very easily.
Other common conditions that affect the skeletal system include:
- Osteoporosis: This is a disease where the bones become fragile and are very prone to fracturing.
- Leukaemia: This is a cancer of the white blood cells.
- Osteopenia: This is where your bones are weaker than normal, however not so weak that they break easily.
- Osteitis Deformans: Also known as Paget Disease, this is a chronic bone disorder that typically results in enlarged, deformed bones due to excessive breakdown and formulation of the bone tissue. It can cause the bones to weaken and may result in bone pain, arthritis, bone deformities and fractures.
- Osteomalacia: This is a disease characterised by the softening of the bones caused by impaired bone metabolism primarily due to inadequate levels of available phosphate, calcium and vitamin D. It causes inadequate bone mineralisation due to the impairment of bone metabolism.
- Scoliosis: This is a sideways curvature of the spine that occurs normally during the growth spurt just before puberty.
- Kyphosis: This is a spinal disorder that has an excessive outward curve of the spine which results in an abnormal rounding of the upper back.
- Lordosis: This refers to your natural lordotic curve, which is normal. However, if the curve arches too far inward, it is called lordosis.
So, can CBD help Bones?
As you get older, there is no doubt that your bones become weaker. Your bones become denser with your bones being the densest at around 25 years old, and at 40 your bones can start to deteriorate, making it easier to break a bones as you get older.
It is believed that the endocannabinoid system has a role to play in bone formation. Scientists believe this could have a massive impact on bone aging. In one study, rats with fractured bones were given either CBD or CBD and THC and were then monitored. The CBD only group healed much faster. They were also less likely to suffer a future break in the same area because the bone repair was stronger.
To buy CBD Pharm’s Premium CBD Oil: Click Here.